I know, I know – who eats Brussels sprouts any more? And where did they get their name?
Well, that should be obvious. From Brussels, Belgium, of course. It’s a cruciferous vegetable from the same family as cabbage and broccoli. According to Wikipedia, Brussels sprouts are also known as Rotten Barbie Cabbages. Who knew?
At any rate, we really like this oven-roasted recipe, and it’s easy to put together. I roasted a chicken yesterday and popped the sprouts into the oven during the last several minutes.
1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts
2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash sprouts; cut off stem ends and remove any speckled outer leaves. (You can cut larger sprouts in half, if preferred.)
2. Place in heavy saucepan with 2″ of water. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer sprouts for 6-7 minutes.
2. Place partially steamed sprouts on a foil-lined baking pan.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt (salt overrides the bitter taste). Toss to coat evenly.
4. Roast in oven until tender crisp and outer leaves are beginning to brown – 20 minutes or so.
5. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired; serve immediately. Makes enough for 2-3 people.