The first time we made this recipe, I pulled ingredients out of the refrigerator: “Waddya think … we’ve got some dried cranberries. Would that be good in chicken salad?” We baked the chicken, put together the salad, packed it in a small cooler and headed off with our snowshoes for Todd Lake. We worked up quite an appetite, and chicken salad never tasted so good.
Today we revisited Todd Lake on our snow-shoes. The lunch menu again included this favorite chicken salad recipe, along with some mandarin oranges and homemade granola bars. I am happy to report that the local residents loved the cranberries and nuts in this dish.
2 chicken breasts
Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning Blend
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans (I’ve also used pine nuts)
Taragon Garlic Dressing:
1/2 cup Vegenaise
1 Tbsp prepared Dijon Honey Mustard
2 Tbsp honey
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a baking dish with olive oil spray.
2. Sprinkle chicken breasts with garlic powder and Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend; bake 20 minutes in prepared baking dish.
3. Cool chicken, dice into small cubes, and refrigerate until ready to use (this can be done a day in advance).
4. Slice the celery and chop the onion.
5. Blend together Tarragon Garlic Dressing ingredients with a wire whip.
6. Combine cooked chicken, celery, onion, cranberries and nuts. Add dressing and mix well.
Yields enough for two hungry snowshoers, or four civilized guests.