Time flies in NYC. After a full day: we were grocery shopping at 10pm, started cooking this recipe at midnight, and sat down to eat by 1:00am. It really was a New York minute!
The marinara sauce is homemade with all organic ingredients. One of our favorites!
1 organic eggplant
Organic olive oil
1 onion, chopped in large pieces
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 – 28 oz. can tomato puree (make sure it is 100% all natural, no preservatives, no artificial colors or flavors)
1 bay leaf
Organic freshly chopped basil
Organic whole wheat penne pasta
Freshly shaved Parmesan, Romano & Asiago Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut up eggplant, with skin on, into large square pieces; place in large baking pan.
2. Drizzle olive oil over eggplant. Add salt and pepper and toss. Place into oven. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered; toss again halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add crushed garlic and chopped onion; cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in tomato puree, oregano and bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste. I don’t measure; I season to taste. Taste your sauce and make sure there is enough seasoning. Simmer and let the seasonings meld for 20 minutes.
5. Cook penne pasta according to package directions, in boiling water with salt. Rinse and drain in cool water. If not serving right away, drizzle some olive oil over the pasta and salt and pepper lightly.
6. Add roasted eggplant to your marinara sauce.
7. Add fresh basil, and taste again to make sure there is enough seasoning.
8. Ready to serve with shaved cheeses on top!
Serving size, 4. Enjoy!